Looking to the Future and AGM on Thursday, September 19th
Impressive Speakers, Learning Opportunities, Lunch, and Networking
Registration to close on Wednesday, September 18th at 11:00 am to accommodate catering requirements.
Join us for another great opportunity to learn and network at this year's Fall Learning Session - "Looking to the Future" - and Annual General Meeting (AGM).
This event is open to the public.
We will start our day at 8:30 am and close at approximately 1:00 pm to give our guests the opportunity to return to their busy work schedules. The event will consist of two presentations, a panel discussion, lunch, and conclude with the AGG's Annual General Meeting (AGM).
Our speaker line-up is shown below:
- Brad Ashley from Solv 3D to present on "Tales from FOSS4G and the FOSS4G2020 Calgary Vision": Brad Ashley is attending the FOSS4G2019 conference in Romania as part of his role as co-Chair of the FOSS4G2020 conference which will be held in Calgary in 2020. He will speak to highlights and points of interest from the 2019 event and lay out some early visions for the 2020 conference.
- Brad Ashley is the Manager of Sales Support for Solv3D in Calgary. He currently is the President of the Alberta Society of Surveying and Mapping Technologies (ASSMT), and is co-Chair of the FOSS4G2020 Local Organizing Committee along with Jonathan Neufeld of Tecterra.
- Jody Garnett from Geocat bv to present on "Open Source Procurement and the Perfect Hotdog": This talk introduces some of the procurement advantages, trade offs, and options to consider when introducing open source into your organization. Jody will look at what makes the perfect hotdog, including several popular options and his regional favourite.
- Jody Garnett has been working with geospatial software for over 20 years and is an experienced open source developer and advocate working with GeoCat. He is a member of the project steering committee for the GeoTools and GeoServer projects and is chair of the OSGeo Incubation Committee. He currently serves on the board of directors for OSGeo and on the steering committee for LocationTech.
Following the presentations, we will hold a panel discussion covering the very timely topic of "Where is Geomatics Heading in a World of Disruption and Rapid Change". Thank you to our panelists: Sam Rondeel of OGL Engineering, Brad Ashley of Solv3D, Jody Garnett of Geocat bv, and Andrew Pylypchuk of TerrAvion.
For the AGM portion of the day, all our guests are welcome to stay; however, only our members will be involved with the intracies of the AGM (voting, etc). Our AGM will surmise the past year's activities and exciting new initiatives for the upcoming year in support of the AGG's mission.
DATE: Thursday, September 19, 2019
- 8:30 am - Check-in and Coffee
- 9:00 am - Presentations
- 10:20 am - Panel Discussion
- 11:30 am - Lunch
- 12:30 pm to 1:15 pm - Annual General Meeting
LOCATION: SAIT - MacDonald Hall (1301 16 Ave NW, Calgary). Please note that the MacDonald Hall is located in the Heritage Hall Building, labelled "A" on the linked map.)
ADMISSION: Registration will open Monday, August 19th.
- Members: $40. Sign-in with your username and password on the top right corner of the AGG website ("SIGN IN") to receive the discounted admission rate for this event. Once signed in, you will need to click on the Event tab, select the Fall Learning Session event, and then click on the green Register button near the bottom of the event webpage. Thank you!
- Non-Members: $50. Click on the green Register button below.
Many thanks to SAIT for sponsoring the venue. Also, a very special thanks to our guest presenters and panelists from Geocat bv, OGL Engineering, Solv3D, and TerrAvion.