Open access to GIS data in Alberta has increased over the past few years. There are compelling arguments for making public data more open and accessible. Municipalities such as the City of Vancouver have explored these reasons and have made much of their GIS data freely available. Understandably, not all data can be made open and free. But some municipalities have concluded they would maximize the value of their data, stimulate new economic activities, improve transparency and accountability and find new efficiencies by making their data open and accessible.
It seems like an appropriate time to take stock of open data available in Alberta. The following is a list of open data sources found for Alberta.
1. City of Calgary Public Data Catalogue
2. Edmonton Open Data Catalogue
3. GeoDiscover Alberta (Some data)
4. AltaLIS (Small Scale and Boundary data)
5. Soils data: AGRASID
6. Alberta Geological Survey: Geology
7. Water and Environmental Hub
10. Town of Banff Open Data
11. ESRi Open Data
If there are examples that been have missed please contact us.